The study of the interaction between living organisms and their environment is called Ecology.
Words used in Ecology
|Habitat||The place where an organism lives||A desert|
|Population||A group of organisms of the same species, existing at the same time in the same place||A population of camels.|
|Community||All the populations of different species in an ecosystem||The populations of camels, cactus and scorpion in the desert, make up a community|
|Ecosystem||An ecological unit containing all biotic and abiotic factors, interacting with each other||The community of all desert animals and plants along with the sand, the sun, the wind, the water in an oasis, all form the desert ecosystem|
|Niche||The way in which an organism lives its life in an ecosystem||The camel feeds on desert grass, drinks some water from an oasis etc. all form a part of a niche|
Food chains and food webs
- A diagram demonstrating the energy flow from one organism to the next, beginning with a producer is defined as a food chain.
- A network of interconnected food chains is known as a food web.
- In both- a food chain and a food web, the energy comes from the sun and decreases as trophic levels increase
Producers and consumers
- An organism that makes its own organic nutrients usually using energy from photosynthesis is defined as a
- An organism that obtains its energy by eating producers or other organisms is called as a consumer
- A herbivore is an organism that gets its energy by feeding on plants
- A carnivore is an organism that gets its energy by feeding on other animals
A trophic level is the position of an organism in:
- A food chain
- A food web
- A pyramid of biomass
- A pyramid of numbers
*** This is the end of this guide. Hope you enjoyed it! Thank You for using Igcsepro.org. We hope you will give us a chance to serve you again! Thank you! ***